This is a PDF Pattern (Digital Download) for the Quilted Hortensia Barrel Bag.
Digital downloads are non-refundable.
Price is in Canadian Dollars. Exchange rate conversation will happen automatically on your PayPal account or Credit Card.
Pattern written in Imperial and Metric.
Pattern is only available in ENGLISH.
About the Quilted Hortensia Barrel Bag
The Quilted Hortensia Barrel Bag offers a unique twist on your classic barrel bag. It features a sleek flap with lock closure.
It has two quilted design options or it can be left un-quilted to showcase a print. On the inside, it boasts the signature Oro Rosa Patterns lining with a combo slip/zippered pocket on one side and a slip pocket on the other.
It has a large main compartment to hold all your other essentials. The lining has a bound finish.
Named for a dear family friend and one of my favourite flowers. To learn how to pronounce Hortensia, click here.
Finished Size10” W x 7” H x 4.5” D
25cm W x 18cm H x 11.5cm D
Complexity: On a scale of Boisterous Beginner/Adventurous Intermediate/Excitingly Advanced, this bag is Adventurous Intermediate! Though it is not a difficult bag to make, prior experience with binding is recommended. Domestic friendly. Rectangular pieces are only given by cut chart.
- (2) Screw-on Strap Rings or (2) Bridge Connectors or (2) 3/4" (20mm) D-Rings
- (2) 3/4” (20mm) Strap Ends
- (2) 3/4” (20mm) Swivel Clasps
- (1) 3/4” (20mm) Strap Adjuster/Slider
- (1) Turn or Flip Lock
- (1) "Handmade" or Logo Tag (Optional)
- (3) #5 Zipper Pulls
- (1) 11” (28cm) #5 Zipper Tape (Cut a bit longer if you prefer to work with excess at the ends)
- (1) 8” (20.5cm) #5 Zipper Tape (Cut a bit longer if you prefer to work with excess at the ends)
- (2-4) Medium Double Capped Rivet Set [3/8" Caps x 5/16" Post (9mm x 8mm)]
- 1/2 yd (46cm) Vinyl, faux leather, or cork at 54” (137cm) WOF*
- 1/2 yd (46cm) Woven Lining at 44” (112cm) WOF**
- 2-1/2 yds (228cm) Woven Interfacing at 20” (51cm) WOF
- 18” x 18” (46cm x 46cm) Pellon Fusible Fleece 987F
- 13-1/2” x 10” ( 34cm x 25cm) Pellon Flex Foam FF77 Sew-in Foam at 20" (51cm) WOF orPellon Decovil Light 525
***IMPORTANT*** Use the Flex Foam FF77 if quilting. Use the Decovil Light 525 if you are not quilting the exterior.
* Woven fabric can be used for the exterior with this bag. If using woven, I suggest two layers of woven interfacing on all woven exterior pieces. Then stabilize as the pattern suggests. Only use hardware connectors for the side connectors. D-Rings will not work with woven fabric as they require hidden connector installation which has raw edges.
** Directional woven fabric for your lining is not recommended with this pattern. However, it can work if you modify the pattern pieces to suit directional needs.
- Duct tape
- Double sided tape 1/4” (6mm)
- Removable marking pen, pencil, etc
- Rotary cutter or scissors
- Pinking shears
- Grid ruler
- Grid cutting mat
- Hand needle and thread if using D-Rings
- Hole punch tool
- Rivet setter tool or rivet press
- Stapler and staples
- Fray check
- 1-1/4yds (114cm) Double fold bias tape (1/2” (1.3cm) when folded is best)
YouTubers are welcome to do their own tutorials should they wish. Please do not include pattern instruction pages or paper pattern pieces within your video as this does violate the terms delineated within the pattern.